Patient, professional and everything in between - how lived experience has influenced my mental health nursing degree
I aim to write candidly in all my blogs, and this is no different. I have written an honest account of what I have experienced and how I have felt as a student mental health nurse with lived experience of mental illness.
My own experience of mental illness is what inspired me to want to
be a mental health nurse. I remember receiving mixed responses when telling
people that I had a place at university to study mental health nursing. Some
people were thrilled for me and told me I had the right qualities to be a
mental health nurse and that my lived experience would be an asset to me.
Others were happy for me but were understandably concerned as to whether I was
ready. At the time I had not long been discharged from hospital. This made me
question myself on whether it was too soon, however I felt very motivated and
figured it could potentially be of huge benefit to my recovery.
When I moved to Manchester to begin my nursing degree, I had this
strange belief that my mental illnesses would not follow me. I was going to
reinvent myself, be a completely new Becca and nobody would need to know about
my past. This obviously never happened. I was honest and candid with
people from the very beginning and I accepted that I could not run away
from my life experiences. I wanted to talk to people
about my past so that they could understand me better and, to an extent, support me.
Having already lived with mental illness for many years, I knew that I would
experience wobbles in the future. Sadly, mental illness is often not something
that you just get over, it is likely to affect you in the long term. I wanted
there to be friends who I could talk to if I felt my mental health was
deteriorating while at university.
I have been told on many occasions that I will make a great mental
health nurse because of my own experiences. I can appreciate why people say this,
but it can create a weight of pressure that can be overwhelming. Having lived
experience is not an assurance that you will be a better nurse. I believe
having personal experience of a mental illness has enhanced the level of
understanding, compassion and empathy I feel which has obviously been of
benefit for both theory and placement. I would consider myself to be a very
empathic person. I cannot know exactly what others are experiencing but having
insight has enabled me to relate better. I see my ability to empathise as one
of my best qualities however I have, at times, found it overwhelming and to the detriment of my own mental health. It can often feel
as though I am taking on others pain and experiencing it for myself.
Having a history of mental illness has proved to be a challenge at
times throughout my degree so far, particularly on placement. On some of my
placements I have come across patients that almost remind me of myself. It
triggers memories of when I was very unwell, particularly the times I was admitted to hospital. I can relate to
the anger, fear, sadness, anxiety and despair that I often see in the patients I care for. Being in hospital
can be a terrifying experience, suddenly you are placed somewhere you may never
have been before with people you have never met, losing all control and
freedom. That is on top of the pain and torment of the mental illness. I guess
having my own experience of this helps me to empathise better with patients
because I have a better understanding of what thoughts and emotions they may be
experiencing.
Having spent many years under the care of mental health services I
have had a wide range of therapies, experienced many assessments and for the
most part, been involved in my treatment planning. Before starting my nursing degree,
I was aware of many of the different assessment and monitoring tools because I
had already used them myself. I had been involved in the formulation of many of
my own care plans, so I knew all about them. I have been under the care of a
wide variety of mental health services which has given me insight into the role
of different teams and professionals. Having this knowledge prior to starting
the course has been a huge advantage.
I have had a very positive experience of mental health care, which
is obviously how it should be. I feel incredibly fortunate and grateful for the
treatment that I have received over the years. Since I have been out on
placement, I have seen for myself the devastating impact of under-funded and
under-resourced services. This has triggered a lot of frustration within me and
I have felt guilty for having the care that I did. Significant
underfunding has meant resources are stretched and many patients are being let
down because they are not receiving the treatment and support that they need.
There are often huge waiting lists for psychological therapies and the variety of
therapies that the NHS offer can be very limited. Community teams are often very stretched and struggle to provide enough support to patients. Without adequate
support in the community many patients are having to be admitted to hospital but
there are not enough beds. One of my biggest worries about being a future
mental health nurse is feeling demoralised by the endless battle and wait for
my patients to get the treatment they need and deserve. Please be assured that
I am not judging mental health professionals here. The majority work very hard
to provide the best care they can but they are being let down by
underfunded and under resourced services.
As somebody with lived experience I need to acknowledge that what
helped me is not necessarily going to benefit somebody else. In terms of mental
health care, it is never one size fits all and just because somebody has the
same diagnosis does not mean their experiences are the same and the same
treatment is beneficial. Also, as somebody with lived experience, I need to
consider whether I think self-disclosure could ever be beneficial. I do not
believe it is something that should be done frequently however I believe that
in some situations, it would be appropriate, therapeutic and beneficial.
It is something I would do very sensitively and cautiously because I would
never want to take the focus away from the patient. On a few occasions’
patients have noticed the self-harm scars on my arms, in this situation I am
honest and authentic with them. I keep it brief and tell them that I have faced my own battles with mental illness and am now really pleased to be in a
position to be able to support others.
In my opinion I think there is a case for over professionalism. I
believe that that being able to give a bit of yourself is a crucial aspect to
the development of a therapeutic relationship. I found that when I was in
hospital the nurses who I trusted, respected and found most helpful were those
who spoke to us about themselves, told us what they did on their days off,
where they went on holiday etc. Having those 'normal' conversations helped put
me at ease and removed any power imbalance. On so many occasions, I have seen
this 'us and them' dynamic and it is not helpful for either party. I believe
that human connection is what nursing is all about. In addition to this, it was
also very important for me to be autonomous and be involved in any decision
making as much as possible. When I went into hospital, I felt as though I had
lost all control. Being involved in the planning of my care made me feel
understood, respected and valued. Having this level of insight has influenced
how I interact with patients and the way I support them to be involved in any
decision making regarding their care.
Undertaking a nursing degree is tough. There are lectures and
seminars to attend, assignments to write, exams to sit and placements to
complete. This would be tough for anybody let alone if you have mental health
conditions to contend with too. I coped relatively well throughout the first 2
years of my degree. I needed a lot of support from my academic advisor but with
this, I was able to achieve good marks in my assignments and exams and
perform well on placement. I knew when I began my degree that I would need
extra support. In the past, I have made the mistake of not asking for help and
support when I have needed it, this has led to a significant deterioration in
my mental health. I did not want this happening at university, so I wanted to
ensure I had someone there who I trusted and felt comfortable talking too. Fortunately,
my academic advisor was exactly this. Having the opportunity to see her
regularly has helped me immensely.
An element of my decision to study to be a mental health nurse was
because I wanted to help others. I have experienced the pain and suffering a
mental illness can cause and I wanted to play a role in relieving that
suffering in others. I wanted a career that gave me a purpose, one that was a
vocation more than a job. I need to feel as though I am making a difference to
people. Reflecting on life since I developed anorexia can be both upsetting and
anger inducing, and I have many painful memories of what has been a very long
journey. I want to channel all that pain and hurt inside into something
positive. I have the right attributes needed to be a mental health nurse and I
feel extremely passionate about influencing change and supporting the
improvement and development of services. I want to ensure that more people have
the positive experience of mental health care that I did.
What a really wonderful blog; so well constructed, with great insight of yourself and others. You will be a mental health nurse with huge understanding of other people. Thanks.
ReplyDelete